Thursday, January 29, 2015

Getting Impatient . . .

I know I said we would wait a couple of months before telling the girls about the Disney trip, but I'm getting antsy and don't really want to wait.  Susan isn't quite so eager to spread the news, so we'll need to talk it over.  We also need to coordinate a plan with the Luskins so we don't ruin whatever their disclosure plan is.

One reason to the girls them soon is that it will give them time to anticipate the trip and to save up some money for it.  A friend gave us the idea of having each girl decorate a jar with stickers, etc. and use the jars to hold money for them to use on souvenirs on the trip.  Even though we don't give the girls allowances, we could monetize other things to help them fill the jars -- instead of giving Amanda dessert or a treat, we'll put $1 in her jar; if Reagan wakes with a dry pull-up, we'll put $9,000 in her jar (she's having issues); etc.  I really like this idea, despite the fact it probably came from Pinterest.

I'm getting close to telling them about the trip anyway.  Yesterday I was talking to Amanda about Disney (in general terms), and she asked if we were going to go over Thanksgiving.*  I put on my best "I'm so sorry" face and broke it to her that we would not be visiting Disney World at that time.  She was supremely bummed.  She asked when we could go, and I was non-committal.  If I had had a couple of beers, I'm not sure I could have held back.

*We had previously told the girls we were looking at going over Thanksgiving, and we actually did look into it.  However, between the cost and the general crowds that are expected that week, we opened it up to other options.  After considering and rejecting October (school conflicts), December (too much time off that month), and Spring Break (crowds, marginal weather), we settled on the first week of June on the theory that schools up north will not be out yet, so the crowds shouldn't be that bad.  It will also be warm enough that the pools will be fun to hang out at.  Plus, we got a good deal on our room.  Now all we need to worry about is hurricanes!

No comments:

Post a Comment